BACK TO SCHOOL CHECKLIST FOR TEACHERS
Preparing for the new school year as an elementary teacher doesn’t have to be stress and overwhelming.
To help you stay organized and ensure a smooth start, here’s a checklist of tasks you can print and check off:
- Classroom Setup:
- Arrange desks and seating arrangements.
- Create designated areas for different activities (reading corner, writing center or writer’s workshop area, STEAM corner etc)
- Decorate bulletin boards and walls with educational displays.
- Stationery, Supplies and Materials:
- Stock up on pencils, pens, whiteboard markers, highlighters, paper etc
- Laminate literacy and numeracy desk mats
- Organize manipulatives, concrete materials and educational games in clear tubs with labels
2. Curriculum and Lesson Planning:
- Familiarize yourself with the curriculum guidelines for your grade level.
- Plan out only the first few weeks of lessons and activities.
- Create a calendar with key dates and events.
3. Classroom Management:
- Display classroom rules, routines and behavior expectations
- Develop a positive reward system
- Prepare a daily schedule to print and display in classroom
- Set up a communication system with parents
- Create a parent contact information sheet.
- Prepare introductory letters for parents and students
- Student Assessment and Anecdotal Notes:
- Prepare a Student Assessment folder or a digital grading system.
- Set up individual student folders or portfolios for work samples and finished craftivities.
5. Integrated Digital Technology:
- Familiarize yourself with any classroom technology (computers, interactive whiteboards, etc.).
- Test all technology equipment and ensure they are in working order.
- Speak to your IT department about installing software or apps.
6. Health and Safety:
- Familiarize yourself with any health and safety protocols.
- Organize and label first aid supplies.
- Develop an emergency response plan.
- Personal Organization:
- Set up a teacher planner or digital calendar
- Create a weekly to-do list
7. Professional Development:
- Look for professional development opportunities and workshops.
- Update your teaching portfolio or resume.
- Join online teaching communities or forums for support
Join my email list to receive exclusive FREE resources and content!