WHAT IS WRITER’S WORKSHOP FIRST GRADE
Writer’s workshop for kids is a teaching method that encourages children to develop their writing skills by providing them with a structured approach to the writing process.
It involves providing students with writing prompts, sentence starters, vocabulary wall and lots of scaffolding visuals.
In addition, writer’s workshop involves giving students many opportunities, preferably daily, to engage in various writing activities that include: brainstorming, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing their work.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING WRITER’S WORKSHOP?
During a writer’s workshop, children often receive guidance from a teacher or peers, as they learn how to express and sequence their ideas in writing.
The workshop allows children to work at their own pace and receive individualized feedback and support from their teachers, which can help them improve their writing skills and build confidence in their abilities.
Writer’s workshop activities should be seen as a ‘work in progress’ where students are free to brainstorm, write, express their ideas, revise and edit.
Ultimately Writer’s Workshop is a fundamentally important part of the writing curriculum.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THIS PACK?
This first grade pack consists of writing prompts, vocabulary cards and supports to help students navigate the writing process. It is not about accurate spelling at this stage, it is about developing confident writers.
There are a variety of core-aligned activities in this pack that provide students with writing practice and sentence structure.
- First Grade
- Second Grade
- ESL Newcomers
This Writer’s Workshop pack consists of the following activities:
- 10 ‘What Do You See’ writing templates with pictures and vocabulary to support young writers
- 10 ‘I Can Read, Write & Draw’ worksheets
- 16 Reading Passages & Word Work worksheets (focusing on simple sentence structure)
- 30 Vocabulary Cards with pictures (for word wall or literacy centers)
- 10 extra lined writing worksheets for differentiation
In Writer’s Workshop, it is important to provide students with environmental print and scaffolds such as posters or writing mats so they have access to a quick writing reference. The following are included:
- Colors (US version)
- Colours (UK version)
- 2D Shapes
- Left Hand, Right Hand
- Days Of The Week
- Months of The Year
- Sentence/Conversation Starters
- Sight Words
- Bilingual Chart 1 (Spanish – English)
- Bilingual Chart 2 (Spanish – English)
- Bilingual Chart 3 (Spanish – English)
- Bilingual Chart 4 (Spanish – English)
How to use this Writer’s Workshop resource:
- Print all contents of this pack
- If possible set up a Writer’s Workshop close to your Writing Bulletin Board
- Display the vocabulary cards and writing scaffold posters on the bulletin board or glue into writing folders
- Place writing folders permanently in Writer’s Workshop for students to use as a quick reference
- Place lots of different writing tools in the Writer’s Workshop (pencils, pens, highlighters, colors etc) to encourage your students to write!
- Remind students that Writer’s Workshop is about the writing process and using the available prompts to generate ideas (not about spelling or punctuation accuracy). The editing process comes after!
- Invite students to share parts or all of their writing with a peer or class audience
- Publish students’ writing on the Writing Bulletin Board
- Use in writing lessons, writing centers, literacy, centers, sub plans
Are you teaching procedural writing? Then you’ll love this FREE How to Make Pizza printables!
Join my email list to receive exclusive FREE resources and content!