Write the Room Activities for First Grade
What is Write the Room?
Write the Room is a teaching strategy and classroom activity that is used to foster strong literacy skills, which include: spelling, vocabulary, phonics and handwriting.
Students walk around the room and write down words, sentences or captions that they see displayed on word walls, class posters, bulletin boards and other environmental prints.
This movement based activity is fun and engages students to practice writing and hence, become confident spellers and writers.
Are you looking for super engaging vocabulary activities for Halloween and the 4 seasons? Then check out these fun write the room activities!
Different to any other Write the Room or Word Hunt activities, because after students search the room, record their words on their vocabulary recording sheets – they write a fun story with the writing templates provided! Ideal for emergency sub plans too!
This seasonal Write the Room BUNDLE is a great way to keep students engaged in their literacy learning as they build their vocabulary.
Acquisition of vocabulary ensures that students become capable and efficient writers who are able to use topic-specific language, which in turn, adds details to their writing.
- First Grade
- Second Grade (review activity)
- Third Grade (reading/writing intervention)
This printable pack consists of the following 4 seasonal products:
- Spring Write the Room Activities & Writing Templates
- Summer Write the Room Activities & Writing Templates
- Fall Write the Room Activities & Writing Templates
- Winter Write the Room Activities & Writing Templates
- Teacher Notes/Lesson (how to use this resource)
- Winter themed vocabulary cards
- Student Vocabulary Recording Sheet
- ‘I Can Visualize’ Graphic Organizer (US version)
- ‘I Can Visualise’ Graphic Organizer (UK version)
- Teacher Notes/Lesson (how to use the writing templates)
- Writing Template 1
- Writing Template 2
- Extra-lined Writing Template (for differentiation)
- Inbuilt checklists included on all writing templates
How to use this resource:
- Movement-based Write the Room Vocabulary Activity (place cards around the classroom and students walk around to find vocabulary and record on their recording sheets)
- Literacy Centers
- Writing Centers
- Writer’s Workshop
- Fast Finishers
- Morning Work
- Sub Plans
Join my email list to receive exclusive FREE resources and content!
Looking for more vocabulary building activities? Read this blog for ideas, tips and strategies